Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that can involve brain and nervous system functions such as movement, learning, hearing, seeing, and thinking.
There are several different types of cerebral palsy, including spastic, dyskinetic, ataxic, hypotonic, and mixed.
Cerebral palsy is caused by injuries or abnormalities of the brain. Most of these problems occur as the baby grows in the womb, but they can happen at any time during the first 2 years of life, while the baby's brain is still developing.
In some people with cerebral palsy, parts of the brain are injured due to low levels of oxygen (hypoxia) in the area. It is not known why this occurs.
Symptoms of spastic cerebral palsy, the most common type, include:
- Muscles that are very tight and do not stretch. They may tighten up even more over time.
- Abnormal walk (gait): arms tucked in toward the sides, knees crossed or touching, legs make "scissors" movements, walk on the toes
- Joints are tight and do not open up all the way (called joint contracture)
- Muscle weakness or loss of movement in a group of muscles (paralysis)
- The symptoms may affect one arm or leg, one side of the body, both legs, or both arms and legs
BENEFIT FROM PMTD:
- Facilitates detoxification of the body
- Improved absorption of nutrients and medication
- Improved neuromuscular function
- Improved overall function in daily activities (ADLs)
- Reduced Spasticity
- Improved functional mobility status (Gait)
- Improved motor performance.
- Increased motor activity has been shown to lead to better physical and mental health and to augment other aspects of functioning such as cognitive performance, and more recently has been shown to promote neural and functional recovery in people with damaged nervous systems.
- Significant increase in Oxygen uptake and ameliorates problems with breathing because of postural difficulties.
- Prevent joints from becoming tight or permanently bent (contracted).
- Strengthened and encouraged the growth of muscles.
- Increases medication absorption; thus reduces medication intake.
- Improved overall health and quality of life